Metropolis Skin Review
Metropolis Skin for Kodi KryptonMetropolis is the second installment in our series of Skin reviews. Unlike other reviews, we plan on taking you inside each skin and show where you to find File Manager, My Add-ons, Settings, Interface, etc.
Installing Metropolis SkinIf you have a clean 17 install, you will have to enable unknown sources first.
- Click Settings (cog)
- Choose System Settings
- Select Add-ons
- Toggle Unknown Sources
- A warning pop-up will appear
- Skin, click to open installed Skin Menu.
- Click Get more…..
- Scroll down to Metropolis Skin.
- Select to Install.
Metropolis Main MenuThe Main Menu page or Home page as some like to refer it to is where you’ll find all the main category’s such as System, Add-ons, Programs, etc. Interface is the first screen that will open. Where you can access and configure Skin, Region, Control, Screensaver and Master lock. The next Two (2) Photos will take you thru the next Eight (8) Main Menu options found in the Metropolis Skin. Moving Clockwise starting at the top Left:
- LIVE TV.
- SYSTEM INFO.
File ManagerIt seems like there is always one area of a Skin that is troublesome to locate. Finding where File Manager in Metropolis was it for me. You will notice as you move thru each option that Settings is always located in the top left corner, as shown in the photo above. To open at any time, double right click on your mouse.
- Scroll down to Settings.
- Select to go to another page where you can then click on File Manager or just slide to the right and Select it from the list shown there to save some time.
Installing from a RepositoryBecause I wanted to remain as consistent as possible with all of the Skins reviews in this series, I have randomly chosen the MrBlamo Repo, the Placenta Add-on and the Movie File used was Thor: Ragnarok. To install an Add-on from a Repository, select Add-ons from the Main Menu. After opening, click Install from Repository as shown above. Scroll down to Blamo Repo and click to continue. Once opened, Select Video Add-ons. As a result, you will now see all the Add-ons available. Scroll down to Placenta and Click. As you can clearly see, the layout found in the Add-on is different from what you may used to. But the same options are there albeit in a different location. Select Install to continue. In addition to showing you each dependency being installed, when the Add-on is finally installed the notification will be seen at the very bottom of the screen as shown in the example. At this point, if you wish to open Placenta, click it and select Open.
Metropolis Player ControlsEach Skin has their own tweaks and twerks when it comes to viewing Media Files in Kodi. While Metropolis is somewhat the same as others, there are some cool views and options you may want use. After selecting the Movie File, you’ll notice a new look to the “spinning working” icon. Both do the exact same thing. Moving from left to right the Player settings are:
- No response when selected.
- Subtitle Service Search.
- Fast Reverse search.
- Fast Forward search.
- Same as the first Icon, no response.
- Video Settings, Zoom, Interlace settings, Brightness, Contrast, Video Calibration, etc.
- Audio & Subtitle Settings, Volume Amplification, Enabling Subtitles, etc.
Media Codec InformationOut of habit, I always do this; Select the O key on my Keyboard or at the same time select CTRL + Shift + O key. As you can see, it instantly shows me what I want to know about the movie file.
- Video decoder, H.254 or H.265
- Video Stream or Resolution and fps. (frames per second)
- Audio Stream.
- Audio Channels. Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, LFE (Powered Sub), Back Left, Back Right.
- System Info, cpu is probably the most misunderstood bit of information that is made available. Here’s an experiment that everyone can do. While viewing a movie select the O key if you have a keyboard. Take note of the number shown. Exit the file, go to Settings, Audio and turn off/on Media Codec depending if you have enabled or not. It’s recommended to have it OFF. Return to the same movie file and compare the figures. For more information on this please click this Link. And this Link.
I hope I have brought some insight on what you will find in the Metropolis Skin if you decide to try it out. You won’t know unless you do right ? Myself like many others are not big users of Builds for many reasons. So just to change things up once in a while, I’ll try a new Skin. Think I’ll keep this one for a while. if you have any questions concerning this article, please joins us here in the Streaming World Forum. For more great Blogs on a wide assortment of Kodi related topics, don’t forget our home page.