Transparency Skin Review
Transparency SkinThe Transparency Skin is the next Skin selected in our Series of reviews. Transparency is a fanart based skin developed by ronnie whose main goal is showing your fanart, full-screen in all of the views. It also tries to support every new feature Kodi has to offer. In order to save everyone the trouble of hacking the xml code themselves, these new features are already included in the Skin. Pre-configured and enabled by default whenever possible. If you have a clean 17 install, you will have to enable unknown sources first.
- Click Settings (cog)
- Choose System Settings
- Select Add-ons
- Toggle Unknown Sources
- A warning pop-up will appear
Installing Transparency Skin
- Skin, click to open installed Skin Menu.
- Click Get more…..
- Scroll down to Transparency Skin.
- Select to Install.
Main Menu/Home PageThe above photo is what you should expect to see after the initial install of the Transparency Skin. In addition to seeing Videos in the Main Menu/Home Page, the left panel also has a list of other folders for you to access. Instead of posting each one individually, I’ve made a collage in the next two examples. Moving Clockwise starting from the top left corner :
- TV Shows.
- System Info.
- File Manager.
- Exit Kodi. (use this icon to power off Kodi)
- Restart Kodi. (aka force start)
- Shutdown. (the next 6 of 8 Icons refer to the device being used. a PC in the case. yours may vary based the device used)
- Custom Shutdown Timer.
- Favorite. (this applies to kodi)
- Settings. (this applies to kodi)
- Eject/Load Drive.
File ManagerAfter selecting File Manager as shown in the previous Photo, Select Add Source. After selecting None, the above screen will appear. Enter the URL, select Done if you are happy with the spelling. Repeat when asked to enter a Name for the URL. The method is still the same in all Skins, how the Dev uses Colours, Layout etc. is what differentiates one skin from another.
Install from a repositoryFrom the Main Menu Page :
- Select Settings.
- Click Add-ons.
- Select Install from repository. Photo A.
- Select the Repo you wish to install and Add-on from. For this review, Blamo repo was selected.
- Once opened, scroll down to Video Add-ons.
- Click on the Add-on to install. Neptune Rising was picked here. Photo B.
- Select Install to continue, as shown in Photo A.
- As each Dependency is installed, the confirmation notification will appear at the top of screen just like the Confirmation of the Add-on Installed as shown in Photo B.
Accessing Add-ons in Transparency SkinThis is a feature that I really like, fast and convenient. While in the Main Menu Page, scroll down to Add-ons. Move the cursor to the right to the box that reads Random. Located inside is a list of Add-ons, Programs in no set order, hence the name Random. I’ll assume that the more you use a certain add-on then the better chance it will appear there. But that is a guess at best on my part. Scroll down to an Add-on you like, in this case Placenta and click. This is a direct link to the Add-on where you can then select a Movie or TV Show File to view. After opening Placenta, I chose Thor: Ragnarok. While looking for a Movie File, I discovered something interesting. There seems to be more Information about the Movie File than I have seen elsewhere.
Player SettingsFor those who are reading these reviews for the first time, I have a habit of Selecting the O key on my keyboard as soon as a Movie starts. Consequently when selected, I will see what’s shown in the Photo above. What you are seeing is the Codec Info for this stream. Because it provides me the Video & Audio Information, it also shows the CPU Load. For more information about Codec, please click Here and Here. The Cluster of Icons located to the left are the same, nothing has changed. The group of icons to the right may look differently that other skins, they still do the same. Understanding what each Icon represents is the secret. Moving from Left to Right :
- Speaker Icon– Audio & Subtitle Settings- Volume Amplification, Audio Offset, Enabling Subtitles, etc.
- Movie Camera Icon– Video Settings- Video Scaling method, Zoom Amount, Brightness, Contrast, etc.
- + Icon– Bookmark- Create a Bookmark of the selected movie file.
- = Icon– Subtitle Download- A Subtitle Service must be be enabled in kodi for this option to work. To find out how you can enable, please click HERE.
- i Icon– Movie Information- Basically, this is a short text about the Plot.
Audio & Subtitle Settings
I really enjoyed exploring thru this Skin and it didn’t take long for me to add it to my list of favorite go to Skins. Easy to use, clean and the background images, tho they shouldn’t make a difference, I did find them pleasant to view. Give the Transparency Skin a try, if you have any questions please lets us know at Streaming World Forum. We’d love to hear from you.